More than 250.000 people move to Canada every year. Moving to Canada is a step forward for inhabitants from all around the world. So, if you think about moving abroad, and considering your options, make sure to take Canada into consideration. The standard of living here is great. Surely, it varies among cities, but, if you move to Toronto for example, you won’t make a mistake. Yes, the costs are quite high there, and in most big cities in Canada. But, on the other hand, you will have a chance to earn a lot more than you will spend. If you decide to move to Canada, here are some tips to help you with your international move.
Before a Canada move…
- Visit Canada as a tourist – Visiting Canada will help you decide whether or not it’s a country for you
- What permits do you need – If you intend to permanently move to Canada, you should contact the Canadian embassy in your country and discuss everything with them.
- Is your profession in demand in Canada – Find out if you can easily find a job. It is an expensive country, you don’t want to move there and wait for the job for months.
- Save enough money – Learn about living costs in Canada (specifically in the place you plan on moving to) and save enough money for at least 3 months.
- Secure the housing – Find a place to stay prior to your moving day
- Get a job – at least a temporary one, so you have at least some income right after you move
- Purchase the insurance policy – Don’t think about it when it’s too late.
- Cancel your rental or sell your home – It will be useful to have some money, perhaps you could get a sufficient amount to buy your home in Canada.
- Cancel the utilities – Don’t risk getting bills for the services you no longer use.
- Get your medical and dental records – You’ll need them sooner or later.
There are, of course, plenty of other things to do before the move, which is why we suggest you contact your movers and discuss with them every single detail. It is essential not to make a mistake. They are very costly when it comes to international moves.
Moving to Canada – how to do it right?
After you dealt with all those things we mentioned above, it’s time to start preparing for the move. You know you’ll need help, right? Hence, hire a reliable long distance moving company you can trust and let the professionals take care of the most important things. There are so many things that need to be taken care of, so it’s recommended to let experienced professionals to deal with them, so you wouldn’t need to. Besides, you might be unable to conduct certain parts of relocation due to not knowing some requirements. Imagine that you land in Canada and you’re missing some document or can’t import some of your belongings? Is it worth risking?
Hence, there are several steps that are absolutely essential when moving to Canada:
- Hire international movers – Experienced professionals will make sure you enjoy the move instead of experiencing stress and headaches.
- Make a moving calendar and stick to it – Making a schedule of all important activities will help you not forget something and do everything on time.
- Talk to your family – Prepare your spouse and children for moving abroad.
- Say goodbye to your friends and family – You won’t see them for a while, say a proper goodbye.
How to hire reliable movers
If you want to hire reliable and cheap movers at the same time, you need to put some effort. Doing a thorough research is a must, given that it’s the only way to do it right and make sure you avoid moving scams and frauds.
So, to find a decent moving company and not spend a fortune on it, you should:
- Use reliable sources of information – friends and family will do. See if someone moved recently and has some recommendation for a moving company you should hire for your international move.
- Look for red flags – Moving scams are everywhere, make absolutely sure you avoid them. Pay attention to every little detail. Moving to Canada is quite costly, you don’t need additional expenses due to choosing a wrong mover.
- Pick the most affordable rather than the cheapest moving company – Low-ball offers are one of the common moving frauds. Hence, hire the company offering top quality moving services at reasonable prices. And pick a company offering to conduct exactly those services you need.
A moving plan with a calendar of activities
An essential thing for those who plan on relocating to Canada. An international move is such a demanding job. There are so many things you need to do before your moving day. If you don’t make a schedule, you are absolutely surely going to forget at least some of them. And forgetting something when moving abroad isn’t an option because it can have serious consequences. With a detailed schedule, not only that you won’t forget anything but you will know exactly when everything needs to be done. Your home-moving experts will help a lot with this, given that they have enough experience. They can suggest what to do first and what to do last and how to do everything quicker and with less effort.
Discuss the big change with your family
Your spouse and your children should find out about moving to Canada as soon as possible. This way they can accept it and feel less stress after the move. Your children will probably be unhappy about it because they are leaving friends. So make sure to communicate all advantages of such a venture. Let them meet the city, and also include them in the moving process. It will reduce the amount of stress they’ll experience, but also prepare for the post-moving period. It will take some time until they fully adjust to a new place.
Spend some quality time with your friends and family before moving to Canada
You will also have some tough time in the beginning. So make sure to spend all the time you can with your family and friends. If you’re doing the packing by yourself, you can let them help you. Every extra pair of hands will be useful, and you will spend more time with the people you love. Canada move will bring so many good things into your life, but make sure you do that right.